The air fryer has become a staple appliance in many kitchens, thanks to its short cooking time and the capability to “fry” food without using as much oil as a deep fryer. ICONIC LIFE Publisher Renee Dee was joined by Maggie Norris of Whisked Away Cooking School to learn the best practices for using an air fryer, and how to cook decadent bacon-wrapped jalapenos and cream cheese wontons.
These tasty appetizer recipes are quick and simple to whip up using an air fryer, and you’ll be the star of your next dinner party with these delectable dishes. Never used an air fryer before? No worries! Follow these tips for the best results:
1) Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions, especially when it comes to preheating.
2) If what you are air frying doesn’t have natural fat, brush it with a little oil to help with browning. You can also use a spray bottle, but aerosol sprays are not recommended.
3) Grease your airfryer trays.
4) Don’t overcrowd your air fryer basket.
5) Stir items like french fries several times during cooking so they cook evenly.
Yields: 8 servings (3 per person)
• 12 large jalapeños, halved lengthwise and deseeded
• ½ cup whole milk
• 1 tbsp butter
• 1 tbsp flour
• ½ cup shredded Pepper Jack
• ½ cup shredded chicken
• Kosher salt and pepper to taste
• 12 slices of bacon, cut in half lengthwise
• 24 toothpicks
In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly add in milk and cook until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and stir in cheese until completely combined. Stir in chicken. Taste for seasoning.
Stuff each jalapeno with the chicken mixture. Wrap with bacon and secure with a toothpick.
Preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees. Lay the peppers on a greased air fryer tray, making sure not to overcrowd the tray. Cook for about 8 to 10 minutes or until the bacon is crisp. Serve immediately.
Yields: 12 wontons
• 12 wonton wrappers
• 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
• 1 ½ teaspoons sriracha
• 1 scallion, minced
• ¼ teaspoon onion powder
• 1 egg whisked with 1 tablespoon water
Mix together the cream cheese, sriracha, scallions and onion powder.
Brush the inside of the wonton with egg wash. Place about 1 ½ teaspoons of the cream cheese mixture in the center of the wonton. Bring the four corners together and pinch to seal edges. Try to squeeze air out at the same time. Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees. Place 7 to 8 wontons in the air fryer basket and cook for 8 minutes. Remove from the basket and let cool for a few minutes before serving.