Recipes from James-Beard Award Winner Chef Edward Lee in partnership with Monogram Appliances.
Monogram Professional Kitchen Appliances is at it again, pushing the boundaries beyond excellence.
Now, they’re on a mission to bring culinary perfection into your home, with the acclaimed Chef Edward Lee appointed the first-ever culinary director, and we got the scoop on some new initiatives and recipes. Read on to learn more about the award-winning Chef Lee and his ideas to move the Monogram culinary platform forward.
ABOUT JAMES BEARD AWARD-WINNING CHEF EDWARD LEE
Chef Edward Lee is an award-winning chef, author and six-time finalist for the James Beard Awards. You might know him from his Emmy Award-winning series, “The Mind of a Chef,” or his appearance in season 9 of Top Chef or the documentary “Fermented.” You may have even seen his published book, “Smoke & Pickles: Recipes and Stories from a New Southern Kitchen.” But what you might not know are his initiatives to promote equality, diversity and aid those in need.
Chef Lee launched The LEE Initiative in 2018, which works to bring more diversity and equality to the restaurant industry. In 2020, the relief efforts of LEE Initiative totaled more than $5 million dollars of direct aid and has been recognized as one of the foremost organizations helping restaurant workers and farmers during the COVID-19 pandemic. And in April 2021, thanks to those incredible efforts, Monogram launched its partnership with the LEE Initiative as part of the brand’s commitment to supporting rising stars in culinary arts.
“I can’t wait to collaborate with Monogram and work with world-class appliances that enable both professional chefs and home cooks to create amazing dishes that delight,” says Chef Lee, who is in the process of developing new recipes as we speak.
“I can’t wait to collaborate with Monogram and work with world-class appliances that enable both professional chefs and home cooks to create amazing dishes that delight,” Chef Lee says, who is in the process of developing new recipes as we speak.
With this partnership, you’ll see rising chef stars and new appliance lines. But first, we have some delicious recipes supplied by Chef Lee himself. And because behind every delicious meal needs a proper appliance, we have the suggested Monogram appliances to go with each recipe. Check it out:
ICONIC PICKS FROM MONOGRAM RECIPES & APPLIANCES TO GO WITH IT
SEARED HALLOUMI WITH SPICED HONEY
If you don’t know, Halloumi is a semi-hard cheese made from goat’s and sheep’s milk popular in countries like Turkey and Greece. You can substitute it with feta cheese.
• 1 ounce cheese for tasting bite
• 2 ounces cheese for salad plate
• Spiced Honey
• 6 tablespoons honey
• ¼ cup orange juice
• 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
• Salt & pepper
• 8 ounces halloumi cheese, cut into ½ inch slices, about 8 pieces
• 2 teaspoons olive oil
• 1 baguette, cut into 8 slices about 1/3 inch thick
• 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
• Make the spiced honey. Place the slices of halloumi in a bowl and marinate it with half the spiced honey for about 10 minutes. Drain off the honey and place cheese on a sheet pan with olive oil.
• Place the baguette slices on a sheet pan brushed with olive oil. Turn Hearth Oven to Roasted vegetable mode.
• Place the bread in the Hearth Oven and cook for 2 minutes until golden brown.
• Place the cheese in the oven and cook for 7 minutes, rotating once, until caramelized on top.
• Place the fried cheese over the toasted bread and drizzle with a bit more of the bourbon honey.
• Top with a few sprigs of fresh thyme and serve right away
APPLIANCE PAIRING | MONOGRAM HEARTH OVEN
Handcrafted to capture the performance of a wood-fired brick oven, you can perfectly prepare this mouthwatering dish with the Hearth Oven. It offers built-in ventilation, capacitive touch LCD screens, a stainless steel exterior and flushed installation for seamless integration into your home. Learn more.
SEARED HALLOUMI WITH SPICED HONEY
Brown Butter is a French technique of slowly cooking butter so that the milk solids caramelize and give the butter a rich, nutty aroma that is often compared to hazelnuts.
• 1 scallop for tasting bite
• 3 scallops for appetizer portion
• 1 ½ pounds scallops, about 20
• Salt & pepper
• 1 Tablespoon olive oil
• 2 teaspoons lemon juice
• 2 Tablespoons chopped tarragon
• 1/4 cup white wine, preferably a Sauvignon Blanc
• 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
• 5 Tablespoons butter, very cold and cut into small cubes
• ½ teaspoon lemon juice
• Salt & Pepper
• Remove the small side muscle from the scallops and pat dry. Season scallops with salt and pepper.
• Heat the Professional Range Griddle to high, and add the olive oil. Add scallops in batches of 6 to 8 scallops at a time. Sear on one side for 2 minutes, flip and sear for an additional 2 minutes. Deglaze the griddle with a little lemon juice. Transfer scallops to a paper towel-lined plate.
• Heat a small saucepan to medium. Add the white wine and cook until almost completely reduced. Add the heavy cream to the pan. Add the cold butter a little at a time and twirl the pan to gently melt the butter. Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Make this right before you serve the scallops.
APPLIANCE PAIRING: MONOGRAM PROFESSIONAL RANGE GRIDDLE AND OVEN RANGE
Many Monogram oven ranges have a griddle built in, which makes cooking your scallops extremely convenient. It’s made of brass to protect from corrosion and withstand high temperatures, and it just makes it look beautifully modern. The oven offers an air fry option so you don’t have to compromise between healthy and delicious, and there’s a smartphone app to ensure precision cooking. Learn more.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: HEAVY METAL | MONOGRAM DESIGNER COLLECTION
BLUE CHEESE PEPPER STEAK BITES WITH HORSERADISH SAUCE
Inspired by the classic steakhouse condiments of pairing blue cheese and horseradish with steak, this dish is best served with high quality blue cheese, just barely melted.
• 1 ounce steak slice for tasting bite
• 6 ounces steak slices for main course plate
• 2 filet mignon about 1 1/2 “ thick
• 8 oz. crumbled blue cheese
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• Salt and pepper
• 1 Tablespoon snipped chives
• 1 cup sour cream
• ¼ cup prepared horseradish
• 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
• 1 teaspoon vinegar
• 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1 Tablespoon chopped chives
• Salt and pepper to taste
Make Horseradish sauce by whisking all the sauce ingredients together in a bowl. Season your steak with salt and pepper. Place the filets on the grill pan for 5-in-1 Oven with a little olive oil. Select filet steak to Medium. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes. Do not flip. Remove filets from the oven and let steak rest on a cutting board for 3 minutes. Slice steak into 1/4 inch thick slices. Lay each slice of steak flat on a sheet pan. Top each steak with a little crumbled blue cheese.
APPLIANCE PAIRING: MONOGRAM 5-IN-1 OVEN AND HEARTH OVEN
It’s suggested you start the recipe in the 5-in-1 then finish it off in the Hearth Oven. The 5-in-1 oven offers exceptional flexibility and cooking results with the innovative five-in-one oven. Advantium® technology enhanced, it can be used as a convection oven, toaster oven, warming/proofing oven, precision cook oven and microwave. It’s part of the minimalist line, so it’ll look sleek and modern with all your appliances. Learn more.
This story was produced in partnership with our friends at Monogram. For more information about the new collections, click here.